mini- VENT… the nude/shirtless “flipping the bird” shot

RyanBall-Homotography-JosePope-09

I really hate when models and photographers do the “flipping the bird” shots (as above). It’s like the model is telling us to fuck off for enjoying his beauty… savoring him… fantasizing about him. Maybe it’s just me, but I truly think if I added this image to my “RYAN BALL IS MY NEW BOYFRIEND!!!” post it would have ruined the fun of it. Maybe photographers and models just see it as some “cool/ rock ‘n roll” posing schtick after a tiring day at the end of the shoot. It just has such a negative vibe to me… like a tinge of homophobia. But that could just be me being super paranoid or something. What do you think?

ryan ball @ prm models
jose pope
homotography

8 Responses

1. Todd

It’s just meant to add to the disaffected look some photogs want from the models. They say, “Do something that will make you look like a badass!” And voila, a stupid middle finger pick which makes the model look like a prick instead of deep.

August 15, 2014 at 7:26 pm

2. Malibu Eric

H-A-T-E the flipping the bird poses/photos/fake bad ass shit. You are not alone. Je déteste ça!

August 15, 2014 at 8:49 pm

3. Marco

I’m with you on this one. The gesture has ruined many otherwise sexy shots for me.

August 15, 2014 at 11:17 pm

4. Gooser

I will be the devil’s advocate here. Shots like these don’t interfere with my enjoyment of the model or the overall shoot. If anything they add the element of defiance that defines the model as more than a mere object.

August 16, 2014 at 5:59 am

5. BigBen

But it’s hardly defiance! They’re doing it on the photographer’s orders, so they are a “mere object”, posing how they’re told.
    It was once a provocative pose, many years ago but it’s just such a lame cliché now, white bread pretty boy models from the suburbs pretending to be rebel bad-asses for corporate fashion shoot magazine layouts.
    Still, he is very lovely though…. argh, concentrate…

August 16, 2014 at 11:41 am

6. BigBen

P.S. Can we have more mini-vents please? What else ticks you off?

August 17, 2014 at 12:00 pm

7. Jonny

I guess I have to buy it. If the model looks like a guy who would do that in his life it could add information and paint the picture of a type. If the kid looks like he would only do that if he were suddenly enraged or offended then yeah, it’s gonna come off as aggressive towards the viewer. “Fuck the world” v.s. “fuck you fag”

August 19, 2014 at 10:30 am